| Home | Menu | Poems | Poets | Reading | Theme | Biography | Articles | Photo | Dictionary | Chat | Video | Shop | Extra | Jokes | Games | Science | Bio | বাংলা

Elizabeth Holmes Biography (New York)



An introduction to Elizabeth Holmes
My friends call me Liz, but I've always used Elizabeth, my real name, on my books. I grew up in Tennessee with an older brother and sister, went to Davidson College in North Carolina, and then went to Africa, where I spent a year teaching at a girls' high school in Kenya. At least I tried to teach, but I probably learned a lot more than I taught. Kenya is a beautiful, fascinating country, and I'd love to go back there someday.

Most of my grownup, working life has been focused on writing (though I've always needed to do other things to earn a living). For a long time I wrote mostly poetry for adults. I've published two poetry books, The Patience of the Cloud Photographer and The Playhouse Near Dark.

I married a novelist, Paul Cody. When we had children -- two boys -- I discovered that I loved reading to them, and that I loved children's books. As my sons grew up (they're teenagers now), I got interested in writing for kids of all ages. I wrote some poems and stories for small children, and then I decided to try a full-length book for young readers. The result was Pretty Is, which was published in 2007. Next came Tracktown Summer, two years later. Recently I finished a new manuscript that takes place partly in Kenya.

My family and I live in Ithaca, New York, the home of Cornell University, where my husband and I both earned master's degrees in writing and then decided to stay. Ithaca is a small town with beautiful creeks and gorges right in the middle and all around it. I love to go on hikes with friends. I'd go with my family, but they aren't into hiking. We have three cats, and I'm crazy about them. But they aren't into hiking either.

No comments: